National Coast Guard Museum
ESTABLISHMENT, POWERS, DUTIES, AND ADMINISTRATION
COMPOSITION AND ORGANIZATION
- National Coast Guard Museum
§316. National Coast Guard Museum
(a) Establishment.-The Commandant may establish a National Coast Guard Museum, on lands which will be federally owned and administered by the Coast Guard, and are located in New London, Connecticut, at, or in close proximity to, the Coast Guard Academy.
(b) Limitation on Expenditures.-
(1) The Secretary shall not expend any funds appropriated to the Coast Guard on the construction of any museum established under this section.
(2) The Secretary shall fund the National Coast Guard Museum with nonappropriated and non-Federal funds to the maximum extent practicable. The priority use of Federal funds should be to preserve and protect historic Coast Guard artifacts, including the design, fabrication, and installation of exhibits or displays in which such artifacts are included.
(3) The Secretary may expend funds appropriated to the Coast Guard on the engineering and design of a National Coast Guard Museum.
(c) Funding Plan.-Before the date on which the Commandant establishes a National Coast Guard Museum under subsection (a), the Commandant shall provide to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives a plan for constructing, operating, and maintaining such a museum, including-
(1) estimated planning, engineering, design, construction, operation, and maintenance costs;
(2) the extent to which appropriated, nonappropriated, and non-Federal funds will be used for such purposes, including the extent to which there is any shortfall in funding for engineering, design, or construction; and
(3) a certification by the Inspector General of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating that the estimates provided pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2) are reasonable and realistic.
(d) Authority.-The Commandant may not establish a National Coast Guard museum except as set forth in this section.
Pub. L. 108–293, title II, §213(a), Aug. 9, 2004, 118 Stat. 1037
, §98; amended
Pub. L. 114–120, title II, §219, Feb. 8, 2016, 130 Stat. 48
; renumbered §316 and amended
Pub. L. 115–282, title I, §104(b), title III, §303, Dec. 4, 2018, 132 Stat. 4196
2018-Pub. L. 115–282, §303, amended section generally. Prior to amendment, section related to National Coast Guard Museum.
Pub. L. 115–282, §104(b), renumbered section 98 of this title as this section.
2016-Subsec. (b)(1). Pub. L. 114–120, §219(1), substituted "any funds appropriated to the Coast Guard on" for "any appropriated Federal funds for".
Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 114–120, §219(2), substituted "artifacts, including the design, fabrication, and installation of exhibits or displays in which such artifacts are included." for "artifacts."
Download our app to see the most-to-date content.